- The school doors open at 8.45 a.m.
- The doors close at 8.55 a.m. when the school day starts and the class teachers take the registers.
- Children arriving late must enter through the main doors and report at the office so that their attendance can be recorded.
- Children who arrive after 9.30 a.m. will be recorded as absent for the morning session.
- Class teachers will bring concerns about any child’s attendance and punctuality to the attention of the attendance coordinator and register this on CPOMS.
- It is the parents’ responsibility to apply for any school absence for their child prior to it being taken. It is preferable medical and dental appointments are made out of school hours. If a child does have to attend an appointment during the school day then parents should provide prior notice and written evidence of appointments. Children are expected to attend school before and after the appointment.
- If a child is to be absent from school without prior consent e.g. due to illness, it is the parents’ or carers responsibility to contact school by 9.30 a.m.
‘You can’t teach an empty chair…’
At The Heys we believe that good attendance and punctuality are very important and reward this.
If a child attends school regularly we are confident that they will be happy and successful at school. Good attendance helps children to establish positive friendships and make good progress in all aspects of their learning and development.
Attendance and punctuality are monitored closely and the parents of any child whose attendance or punctuality causes us any concern, will be invited in to school to discuss the how school can support at home. Where appropriate, a plan will be put into place to ensure that attendance and punctuality improve. We encourage good punctuality at school, as latecomers disrupt not only their own learning but that of other pupils in their class.
We actively discourage any leave in term time and leave will not be authorised unless there are exceptional circumstances. Unauthorised leave will be reported to the Local Authority and Penalty Notices will be issued where appropriate.